Pritam Rohila Travels

Reports of my travels along with some pictures

Oct 29, 2010

CHINA 21: TIBET-LHASA, JADE LAKE


June 2

This morning we were scheduled to go for a boxed-lunch picnic to Jade Lake, which is also known as Yamdrok Yumtso Lake (Picture from http://www.china-tour.cn/China-Pictures/Yamdrok-Yumtso-Lake.htm).

Iy is one of the three holy lakes for the Tibetan Buddhists. Many devotees come here for pilgrimage.




This low-consistency salt lake is situated about 60 miles and two hours away from Lhasa. But at 14,570 feet above the sea level, it is 2,570 feet higher than Lhasa. Therefore, already having symptoms of altitude sickness, I did not want to risk my health. But Kundan decided to go. (Her picture by fellow-traveler, Sherry).



I rested in our hotel room, and caught up on my reading materials and a few other chores. Late in the afternoon, after Kundan and others had returned from Jade Lake, we went to dinner again at Tibet Steak House.

Still not feeling okay, upon the advice of Pemba, I rented a tank of oxygen from our hotel for two-hours, at 50 Yuan (about $7). With an Ace-bandage improvised to hold the tube in my nostril, I slept well and felt better. But Kundan had a hard time sleeping.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home